Search
This list does not yet contain any items.
Login
Subscribe
Powered by Squarespace
« The Traveling Vagabond: Hinds Feet Day 4 | Main | The Traveling Vagabond: Prayer Garden Day 2 »
Friday
Jul242015

The Traveling Vagabond: The Middle Finger - Day 3

Fear is a voice that we give credit to, but it is most often not based on reality.  Never is that voice from God.  Never.  Scripture teaches that God is love and perfect love drives out all fear (1 John 4)  It would surprise some that “Fear Not” is the most common command in the Bible. To be certain, God does not want his children to be afraid.   Fear, anxiety and depression are frequent and should never be ignored, but it is never God’s strategy for your life.

As my family and I neared our vagabond era, we agreed as a family to work hard towards two things.  We don’t always get them right, and as a way of confession I will admit there are plenty of times I fail.  Nonetheless, we are striving toward them both.

The first is faithfulness.  For me that means being faithful to my current employer in serving them so well that I bring them honor in my departure.  It also means for me to be faithful in my job hunt, never growing complacent in my efforts.  It means doing what I need to do for this move.  It means reaching out to friends to let them know that they are of value to me.  Finally, it means to fight against escapism.  Anger, excessive hours on the internet, lust, excessive alcohol, self-pity – the list goes on as to what shape it can take for people.  We all have dysfunctional ways to avoid reality, I have mine.  Again, some days I am only going on one cylinder rather than firing on all four, but I am really working hard on being faithful to what is healthy and right.    

The second is to give fear the middle finger.  There is no place for fear, I need to not allow it to have dominance in my life.  One day I will write about how Mathew 6 is changing my life.  Unless the Lord wants me to write about something else tomorrow, I will talk about a Psalm that is influencing me.  Back to todays entry, I am finding that one of the greatest ways to fight fear is to have fun.  Terri teaches me this.  Wherever Terri goes, the atmosphere turns into a party.  When I am with her I am having fun, I find it to be a brilliant way to give fear the middle finger.  

Life is filled with the crazy.  About 90% of it is totally out of your control.  Be faithful to the 10% you have been given and roll your eyes in laughter at the other 90 percent. 

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (2)

Love the 90/10 rule!
July 24, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJim
I'm glad to be on this journey with you. God has this !
July 24, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterT-hop

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
All HTML will be escaped. Hyperlinks will be created for URLs automatically.